Triathlon and Paratriathlon return to the National Finals in 2022. As a multi-discipline competition involving three continuous endurance sports (swimming, cycling, and running), it is a unique inclusion in the competition schedule.
[Content being reviewed]
Did You Know?
- The first modern triathlon took place in San Diego, USA, in 1974 with the first triathlon in the UK taking place in 1983.
- Triathlon was first introduced into the Olympics in Sydney (2000) with Paratriathlon being a more recent addition in Rio (2016).
- In 2017 it was announced that the Triathlon Mixed Team Relay would make its Olympic debut in Tokyo 2020. It has been part of the Commonwealth Games since Glasgow 2014.
- The transition phases are often referred to as the fourth discipline of triathlon, given the importance they can have on how the race plays out.
- In the 1980’s, before the introduction of the Trisuit, triathletes (male and female) used to compete in two-piece crop tops and trunks - these were often neon pink or yellow!